Ownership documents:  It is helpful to provide an ownership document such as a Certificate of Title, Registration Card - old or new, Manufacturer’s Certificate or Statement of Origin (MCO/MSO) as a supporting document for the VIN, but it is not a requirement of the VIN Verification.
When do you need a Vehicle VIN Verifier?
You have a vehicle that is not in the California Department of Motor Vehicles database.
You have a registered out of state vehicle coming to California for the first time.
You have a non California motorcycle with an out of state title.
You have vehicle documentation that reflects an incorrect VIN.
Permitted Verifications:
Prohibited Verifications:
Semi Trailers/trailers
Cars & Pickups - Old and New
RV's / Motorhomes
Motorcycles - On & Off Road
Revived Salvage or Revived Junk Vehicles. Please Do Not Call Us.   DMV - CHP Only.
Vehicles 1970 and newer whose US Federal Certification Label (Safety Label) disagrees with the VIN, or is illegible, damaged, tampered, altered, missing, never issued (e.g., direct import-grey market, etc.), or does not match the documents.
Specially Constructed (SPCNS) vehicles e.g. Kit Cars, Home Built Trailers or Any Custom Built Vehicle. Any vehicle with Frame Changes, etc.
Vehicles with Documents From a Foreign Country.
Motorcycles with Engine Changes.
Incomplete or Unassembled Vehicles.
Special Note: If you have been referred by the DMV to go to the CHP - Please Do Not Call Us - Your only option is the CHP.  If you call us and we go to your location - the charge will be the same charge as for any county pricing quoted.
Special Note: All On-Highway vehicles including motorcycles, golf carts and low speed vehicles (LSV), 1970 and newer must have a Federal Safety Certification Label and it must be legible and match the primary vin in the windshield.  The label is usually on the edge of the driver door or on the strike side of the driver door pillar.  See Below.
We will be looking for the secondary VIN, and the words "This Vehicle Conforms To All Federal Motor Vehicle Safety.......".  On 1970 and newer, the primary VIN must always be in the front windshield.

On 1970 and newer vehicles, we will need to see the Federal Certification Label (safety label). It Must Be Legible and match the primary vin.
EPA Emissions Label:  On vehicles 1968 and newer, we will need to look for an EPA Emissions Label (usually located in the engine compartment or under the hood).
Odometer Mileage.
Please Note:  It is not the responsibility of the verifier to locate and/or clean your vehicle ID.  You should know where your Vehicle Identification Numbers are located and that they are legible in order to verify that they are correct for the vehicle.  If you do not know where your VIN's are located, please research their location via Google before you make an appointment. Example (1957 Cadillac vin location).
Copyright © 2009 - 2022 Bay Area Vin Verifications - All Rights Reserved
This page was last updated: December 24, 2021
Vin Verifier
Want to know the secret why the DMV is making you do this?  click here and keep reading